TRAINING TO FOSTER COMPETITIVENESS AND EMPLOYMENT
AFPA, the agency for adult vocational training, trains over 150,000 persons each year. It has been the major professional training organization for 65 years. As a social economy company, AFPA offers a wide range of qualifying and certifying training programmes adapted to the needs of the workforce (including the unemployed), companies, and the public sector.
Guided by its economic and social role, AFPA supports technical and economic progress by anticipating and organize training on emerging skills needed by the industry. Afpa also supports the international development of companies by offering its expertise to governments, most especially in the framework of French cooperation agreements.
AFPA’s offer is both customized and customizable. It includes life-long training for the workforce, either for professional integration, reskilling, or acquisition of further qualifications. Thanks to its pedagogy focused on professional behavior and a large variety of teaching tools, technicians get to understand what skills they lack and can acquire them to improve their professional performances.
A NATIONAL CENTRE SPECIFICALLY DEDICATED TO NUCLEAR POWER ACTIVITIES
With over 25 years of expertise, the AFPA centre in Cherbourg-en-Cotentin is certified “National Centre” for nuclear energy and marine-based renewable energy technologies. Afpa offers several technical platforms developed in partnership with companies such as:
- a technical platform for the operation of automated facilities developed together with Orano La Hague during the construction of a third fuel elements reprocessing plant,
- a 400 m2 training facility with scale models developed together with EDF for the EPR. These models offer multiple pedagogical tools and include valves, pumps, pipes, mechanical seals, and five virtual models specific to the nuclear industry.
THREE TRAINING AREAS
- Construction—to train insulation specialists, pipe fitters, and welders for the EPR;
- Maintenance—to train technicians specialized in valve and pressurized rotating machinery maintenance for EDF’s nuclear reactor life extension programme;
- Dismantling—to train nuclear technicians to work in nuclear and spent fuel reprocessing plants. These programmes give access to pre-qualification diplomas and to certificate of qualification in metallurgy for technicians working decommissioning and deconstruction of a nuclear facility.
EXAMPLES OF TAILOR-MADE TRAINING COURSES FOR ORANO
- Training in PLC, control room operations, instrumentation, and regulation
- Training in chemistry and chemical physics
- Training in flow transfer technologies and hydraulics
- Training in diagnostics
- Training in mechanical and chemical risks
- Training in air control and ventilation
- Training of new recruits
More than 150,000
persons trained each year
trainers from the industry trained through continuing and adult education